Vestibular Rehabilitation Program
Our vestibular rehabilitation program will help restore equilibrium within all the systems of balance and allow you to have a knowledge base for your diagnosis. A comprehensive evaluation will be completed to ensure that everything is addressed in your plan of care. Each patient will have a unique, individualized program geared toward his or her needs and goals. Let’s get you back on track to being free of feelings of dizziness or of lacking balance.
Dizziness due to a vestibular dysfunction is reported in about 9 percent of people aged 65 years or older.
- Vestibular dysfunction can lead to fall-related injuries, such as a fracture hip, a leading cause of disability and mortality in the older population.
- It is estimated that 65% of individuals older than 60 years of age experience dizziness or loss of balance, often daily.
Through specialized treatment, physical therapists can prescribe different exercises, maneuvers, and techniques to help lessen and alleviate your symptoms.
Consequences of not seeking treatment:
Untreated vestibular dysfunction may lead to a loss of quality of life due to increased risk of fall and injury, decreased mobility, and depression. Fear of injury may lead to the adoption of a sedentary lifestyle, which will surely result in decreased muscle strength, increased joint pain, and reduced endurance levels.
Conditions Commonly Treated:
- Ringing in the ears
- Dysfunctions of neck
Physical therapists are experts at treating all the different facets of vestibular dysfunction
- Establishes an individualized treatment plan following a thorough one-on-one evaluation
- Educates you on the balance systems and the reasons behind your dizziness
- Provides treatment and hands-on maneuvers to help alleviate symptoms
- Instructs in self-treatment techniques to help with self-management
- Uses various therapeutic exercises to help target the specific balance system that is affected
Have you been experiencing any of these symptoms? Have you been avoiding usual activities in fear of “having an episode”? End your life of spinning! Call us now at 949-861-8600.
*This information about our vestibular rehabilitation program was reviewed by Dr Natalie Thomas, PT, DPT. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us here.