Kinesio taping has been receiving more attention in recent months, thanks to the growing number of professional athletes sporting the tape during competition. This innovative tape has been shown to offer a variety of benefits, both in treating and preventing injury. Kinesio tape uses a specialized taping method that facilitates the body’s natural healing process, while relieving pain and discomfort.
About the Tape
Kinesio Tex Tape was developed by Kenso Kase, a chiropractor in Japan that invented the tape in the 1970s. For many years, the tape was primarily used by Japanese healthcare providers, including physicians, chiropractors and acupuncturists. When professional athletes in the country began sporting the tape to international events, athletes from around the globe began to sit up and take notice. Today, Kinesio taping is the preferred method for many athletes and medical providers that have discovered the benefits of this tape versus other types of tape and taping methods used in the past.
Benefits of Kinesio Taping
There are a variety of benefits offered by Kinesio taping that are not found with traditional taping methods:
- Kinesio taping works with the body’s natural healing processes
- The tape does not restrict range of motion in the taped muscles and joints
- Kinesio tape effectively reduces pain and inflammation from injury or overuse
- Lymphatic drainage is encouraged with this taping method, ensuring faster recovery
- The tape may be used on patients of any age and may be worn for days at a time
What the Tape can Treat
In addition to the direct benefits patients can experience with Kinesio taping, this tape also provides a wide range of uses for the therapist. Kinesio taping may be used for the following situations:
- Joint pain and injuries
- Muscles fatigued or injured from overuse
- Bruising and swelling
- Soft tissue injuries
- Muscle pain and injuries
- Foot pain due to chronic conditions like plantar fasciitis
- Some types of headaches
- Postural concerns
- Recovery and rehabilitation after surgery
At In Motion O.C., we have seen firsthand the benefits patients receive from Kinesio taping. We offer this treatment at our physical therapy centers for the appropriate situations, to help our patients recover faster without sacrificing range of motion during the recovery process. To learn more about the advantages of Kinesio taping, contact In Motion O.C. at 949-861-8600.